Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday

I've never realized how much the Tooele public library relies on its natural lighting until today. The weather outside is dark, cloudy, and looks like it could snow at any moment. As I pull open the glass door to the library, the weather inside the building looks the same. Upon entering, I take five steps, turn left, and head for the bathroom. Inside a man stands in front of the only sink. In his hand is a paper towel, which he's rubbing over his armpits. I go into the bathroom stall and take a piss. When I come out he's still there. Using another sheet of paper towel, he rubs a lather of soap off of his chest and stomach. I need to wash my hands. I stand behind him. "Excuse me" I say. He says sorry and moves out of the way. I wet my hands and reach for the soap dispenser. Below it, are a pair of dentures. "Sorry, let me grab those." he says. He picks up his dentures and stands to the side. I wash my hands, dry them with the air dryer, and leave.
Now I sit in front of a computer and write about it. I'll think about it all day. I'll probably dream about it. I picture a giant pair of dentures chasing after me. Trying to chomp my legs off or something. I left my weekend update on a floppy disk at home. At least now I have something to write about. Maybe I'll send an article to the tribune titled "The underground washrooms.-How transients stay clean in Tooele county." or something like that.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go brush my teeth.

No comments: